Posted on 31 May, 2018
Sohn Conference Hong Kong raises record HK$4 million to support fight against gynecological and pediatric cancers
- Investors including Wesley Wong, Oxbow Capital Management, Benjamin Fuchs, BFAM, Carl Huttenlocher, Myriad Asset Management and Soren Aandahl, Blue Orca Capital presented their best long and short ideas
- Substantial proportion of proceeds to fund a new co-funded HPV vaccination program, complementing existing programs for the underprivileged
- Speaker representatives from the Sohn Conference and Next Wave Sohn shook on “Sohn Bet”
- Seth Fischer, Oasis Management, Rajesh Sachdeva, Flowering Tree Investment Management and Hermes Li, Aspex Management pledged a percentage of all profits made from their investment ideas to the Karen Leung Foundation
May 31, 2018 (Hong Kong) – The 6th Annual Sohn Hong Kong Investment Conference, presented by the Karen Leung Foundation, gathered some of the world’s most prominent investors to discuss their best investment ideas yesterday.
The conference saw a sell-out crowd of over 360 sell and buy side investment professionals, asset allocators and private investors descend on the city from across the globe. Speakers covered a diverse set of topics, including stock picks for short and long strategies and their reasons behind those ideas.
- Benjamin Fuchs at BFAM Partners presented a hedged bet on Tencent
- Eashwar Krishnan of Tybourne Capital argued that shares of LINE Corp. may double
- Seth Fischer of Oasis Management unveiled a new activist campaign targeting Japan Asset Marketing Co., the real-estate listed subsidiary of discount Japanese retailer Don Quijote Holdings Co.
- Kok Hoi Wong at APS Asset Management explained why he is short JD.com
- Soren Aandhal of Blue Orca Capital elaborated on his latest investment idea, Samsonite
- Ben Melkman of Light Sky Macro recommended a Japan rate trade and Topix bank stocks on an inflation theme
- Wesley Wong of Oxbow Capital Management discussed why he believes there is 50% upside in the shares of China’s third largest airport operator, Guangzhou Baiyun Airport
- Rajesh Sachdeva at Flowering Tree Investment Management and Avinash Abraham, Torq Capital Management argued that Vietnam Prosperity Bank and Pacific Basin Shipping respectively are significantly undervalued
- Hermes Li at Aspex Management identified SJM Holdings as a good buy opportunity
In addition, this year saw the inaugural Sohn “Next Wave” Hong Kong program feature investment ideas from rising stars from Asia’s hedge fund industry. Jeff Zielinski, APTA Investments, Rawen Huang, Petrel Capital, Mohammad Ali Reda, Darkhorse Capital, Chen Chen, Toona Tree Capital, Danny Yung, TX Capital, Rashmi Kwatra, Sixteenth Street Capital and Aalap Mahadevia, Briarwood Chase Management delivered compelling insights and ideas, including buying opportunities at Morris Holdings, Bilibili and Yongda Auto in the morning session.
At the conference, Oasis’ Fischer and the Next Wave Co-chairs agreed to a “Sohn Bet”, which will compare the collective performance of the morning Next Wave investment ideas versus the afternoon main stage investment ideas over the course of the next 12 months. The “losing” session speaker team will sponsor HPV vaccinations for one Hong Kong school at a cost of HKD 200,000 making it a “win-win” situation for the Hong Kong community and the Foundation’s important mission – to be announced at the 2019 Sohn Hong Kong conference in May 2019.
This year’s conference raised a record-breaking HK$4 million, pushing total Sohn Hong Kong conference proceeds since inception to HK$13 million. All proceeds will go to supporting both the Sohn Conference Foundation and Karen Leung Foundation’s missions.
With the money raised, the Karen Leung Foundation aims to continue to deliver its school-based vaccination program over the course of the next 18 months. The program seeks to address the unmet needs of the Hong Kong community by providing education on cervical cancer prevention and free HPV vaccines for appropriately aged girls in Hong Kong. The Foundation announced that it will also launch a co-funded vaccination program commencing the school year 2018/19.
Foundation Executive Director Katharina Reimer said, “We wish to thank all of our generous event sponsors, partners, individual supporters, Next Wave and main stage speakers, attendees, and our volunteers for making the 2018 conference a huge success. We are heartened and encouraged by the enormous showing of support, and vow to continue our important and urgent mission of providing education and prevention of cervical cancers in Hong Kong.”
For more information about the Sohn Conference Hong Kong presented by the Karen Leung Foundation, please visit: http://www.karenleungfoundation.org/events/2018-sohn-hong-kong-investment-conference.
– End –
For media inquiries, please contact:
Katharina Reimer James Hill/Ruby Lo
Karen Leung Foundation MHP Communications
+852 2847 7765 +852 3114 6339
About The Sohn Conference Foundation:
The Sohn Conference Foundation is dedicated to the treatment and cure of pediatric cancer and other childhood diseases. The Foundation supports cutting edge medical research, state-of-the-art research equipment, and innovative programs to ensure that children with cancer survive and thrive. The Foundation raises its funds through premier investment conferences and special events, including its renowned annual New York Sohn Investment Conference.
Founded in 1995, the Conference honors the memory of Ira Sohn, a Wall Street Professional who lost his battle with cancer at age 29. The Foundation has expanded its reach to include the Sohn Australia, Sohn Canada, Sohn Geneva, Sohn Hong Kong, Sohn India, Sohn London, Sohn San Francisco, and Sohn Tel Aviv. To date, the Foundation has raised more than $85 million globally. More information on the Sohn Investment Conference is available at www.sohnconference.org
About the Karen Leung Foundation:
The Karen Leung Foundation (KLF) www.karenleungfoundation.org is working to save lives in Hong Kong by raising awareness of gynaecological cancer, educating women to increase rates of early detection and ensuring that women in treatment have access to optimal medical care. Founded in 2013, we are the first and only organisation in Hong Kong solely devoted to women's gynaecological cancers. To date, the Karen Leung Foundation has raised more than HK$18 Million to fight gynaecological cancer and help Hong Kong girls and women. The Karen Leung Foundation honours the memory of Karen Leung, a hedge fund trader, who died at age 35 following a diagnosis of metastatic cervical cancer.